27th September 2023 Update: ASQA Approves Extended Transition Period for Several MSF Training Package Qualifications
Committing to fairness and flexibility, the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) has approved an extended transition period for essential furnishing training package (MSF) qualifications, ensuring learners are not disadvantaged.
MSF Extended Transition Period: Impact on Qualifications
ASQA’s decision to extend the transition period has a direct impact on students pursuing the following qualifications:
- MSF40118 – Certificate IV in Interior Decorating
- MSF50218 – Diploma of Interior Design
- MSF30113 – Certificate III in Furniture Finishing
- MSF30818 – Certificate III in Flooring Technology
- MSF31113 – Certificate in Cabinet Making
The extended transition period allows students enrolled in these qualifications until 31 January 2024 to complete their training and assessments and receive certification. However, this extension exclusively applies to those who commenced formal training and assessment on or before 7 and 20 December 2023.
The Significance of the Extension
ASQA draws its authority to sanction extended transition periods from the 2015 Standards for Registered Training Organisations. These extensions are implemented when stakeholders demonstrate their crucial role in preventing real hardships for learners.
Collaborative Efforts with Stakeholders
ASQA consulted with essential stakeholders, such as the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority and the Training Accreditation Council of Western Australia. This collaborative endeavour ensures that the interests and requirements of learners in various states are comprehensively addressed, highlighting a dedication to national uniformity and equity.
What the MSF Extended Transition Period Mean for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs)
The qualifications impacted by this extension will stay under the RTO’s registration scope until the extended transition period ends. The extension offers learners greater flexibility and enables RTOs to persist in providing and conducting training and assessments for these qualifications.
Leveraging MSF Training Package Updates
If your RTO delivers the affected MSF training package qualifications and units, ensure that you:
- Keep your RTO up-to-date on the most current qualification and unit training resources.
- Develop a well-crafted transition plan to adapt to the updated qualifications seamlessly.
- Wait to promote new courses until you’ve received official registration confirmation.
- Verify that your trainers have the skills to teach the updated resources effectively.
- Obtain the latest MSF training package resources crucial for practical training and assessment.
Consider these tips to maximise the benefits of the new MSF training package updates for your RTO.
ASQA’s dedication to a smooth transition for learners and the preservation of essential skills in the furnishing and design sector is evident in its decision to extend the transition period. This commitment guarantees uninterrupted learning journeys for students despite the changes.
Stay informed about vocational education and training developments.
Explore our blogs.